In today’s afternoon edition we have a little something for everybody. We’ve got information on educational opportunities coming up for industry professionals dealing with everything from attracting consumers to your funeral home to insights on the financial markets, to podcasts on interesting topics from the National Funeral Directors Association.
On the news front there are stories on local funeral homes doing good work in their communities to a story on Tuesday nights Chicago shooting as mourners were exiting a funeral service to how funeral homes are dealing with a surge of COVID-19 deaths in their locales.
DISRUPT MEDIA Webinar — The advertising for this free webinar states “We’ll be loading you up with info and strategy ideas to help you maximize 2020 and start winning! . . . Join us to learn how you can thrive in the (new) New Year. . . .We’ll be giving you insights, game plans, and data on consumers. . ” Friday, July 24 – 1 PM Eastern Time, Noon Central Time.
Roosevelt Investments Webinar — John Roscoe, CFA, Chief Investment Officer and Senior Portfolio Manager, will discuss thoughts on the financial markets, the evolving impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and will answer questions live. Roosevelt Investments is a boutique advisory firm with over 30 years experience working with funeral and cemetery professionals. This video webinar will be moderated by Nicki Price Adams, Marketing Manager of the Private Client Group. Tuesday, July 28 – Noon Eastern Time, 11 am Central Time.
- In Loving Memory: A Child’s Journey – pertaining to talking with children about death and ways funeral directors can involve children in the funeral
- The Future of the Funeral Service Profession is Bright – Five members of the Class of 2020 share their experiences in mortuary school and in the funeral service profession.
News from the world of Death Care:
- Beverly Ridge Funeral Home welcomes 3rd Generation. The Beverly Review (IL)
- Police: Shooting outside Chicago funeral home was gang related. WHSV 3 TV news story, Associated Press article.
- Green Burial Society receives HCDC funding. The Haliburton Echo (Canada)
- Funeral home accused of holding boy’s body captive. WAVE 3 News – Louisville (KY)
- Council’s burial and cremation services were “maxed out” at pandemic peak. Wales Online (Great Britain)
- These “Last Responders” deal with the bodies as coronavirus deaths surge in Rio Grande Valley. The Texas Tribune.
- Cremations on rise as pandemic impacts funerals. WLBT 3 News. Jackson (MS)
- Helping people in time of greatest need. Moody County Enterprise (SD)
- Local businesses and COVID-19: Hoyt Funeral Home. New Caananite (CT)