In today’s Afternoon Edition we will bring you a myriad of different news from different parts of the death care spectrum. We lead off with an article from the United Kingdom that highlights that country’s largest provider of funeral services and cremations, Dignity PLC. As you may know, the British Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) recently ended its investigation into price practices in the funeral industry of Great Britain without imposing price controls, at this time on funeral and cremation providers.
That decision led to Dignity PLC stock prices moving higher as this article, entitled “Dignity shares rocket higher as CMA backtracks on funerals” points out. Look for a Funeral Director Daily feature article on the British Competition and Markets Authority decisions later this week.
We also have a couple of articles on cemeteries with different issues and a couple articles related to COVID-19 and funerals which has prompted us to include a page from the Foundation Partners Group website that is a collaborative effort on their part to put forth an educational platform on best practices to colleagues as we march through the COVID-19 pandemic.
News from around the world of Death Care:
- Dignity shares rocket higher as CMA backtracks on funerals. ProActive Investors (United Kingdom)
- Midland Cemetery, home to Black Civil War veterans, is now owned by group that is restoring it. Penn Live – Patriot News (PA)
- Famed Graceland Cemetery closes after Monday storms which cause severe and extensive damage. Block Club Chicago (IL)
- Fear and empathy at L.A. funeral home serving Black families. ABC News
- Deaths continue to rise as funeral homes see influx due to COVID-19. The Brunswick News (GA)
- Cremations preferred over burials for final dispositions. WBFO – National Public Radio – Buffalo/Toronto
- Managing Your Business through the pandemic. Foundations Partners Group.
Webinar Reminder: “Implications of a Recent U.S. Supreme Court decision relating to funeral practice and discrimination on the basis of sex”. Possible CEU available. Wednesday, August 19. 4 pm Eastern Time. 3 PM Central Time. University of Minnesota Mortuary Science.